Thursday, August 26, 2010

Writer for the TRIBUNE USA



Q & A with David A. Pendleton ~Tribune USA~ October 2006 by Jimmy Earll


Judge David A. Pendleton is an administrative law judge serving on the Hawaii Labor Board, where he presides over workers compensation appeals in Hawaii. He was appointed by the Governor and recently confirmed by the state senate to this post, making him the youngest administrative law judge in the state of Hawaii. For the last two years, he has served as a senior policy advisor to Hawaii's Governor Linda Lingle, and for eight years before that he was elected member of the Hawaii House of Representatives. He is an attorney admitted to practice in Hawaii and California, an ordained minister and a credentialed school teacher. He holds a B.A. from La Sierra University, a M.A. from Loma Linda University and a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from the University of Southern California Law School. Pendleton, who is of Filipino, Indonesian and Dutch descent, is married and has four children.




Q: Republican or Democrat?
A: I'm a Republican in the mold of Teddy Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln. I guess you could call me a moderate Republican, as those are the only kind that get elected in Hawaii.

Q: Is it hard being a Republican in the blue state of Hawaii?
A: Well, remember that I'm a former elected official. I did that for eight years. The last two two years I was a senior policy advisor to our Governor, who is a women and a Republican, the first since statehood. In the spring she appointed me to become an administrative law judge serving on the Labor Appeals Board, where we handle workers' compensation appeals. The Senate confirmed me in April, and have been on the job since July. My term expires June, 2016. Now, I'm not involved in partisan politics at all. Even when I was elected, I was never partisan. I've always been a public servant first and a party member second.

Q: What was the most challenging experience while working for the Governor?
A: Just the stress of the schedule--meetings, drafting her bills, dealing with crisis and constituents, helping craft policies, resolve emergencies, write speeches. It was great fun--a once in a lifetime experience, certainly, but nothing that is sustainable. My family is important to me, and the Governor understood that. She still invites me over to the mansion. In fact, on September 15th, my wife, Noemi and I were over at the Governor's mansion at a reception for President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. I may not be employed as part of the team, but I'm still part of the Governor's family, as it were.

Q: Reading your bio, do you have your sights set on the Supreme Court or possibly the future Governor of Hawaii?
A: Funny that you should ask. Many have said that I have more of a judicial temperament. I'm honored to serve where I am serving. We'll see what the Lord has planned for me come 2016. Right now I'm having way too much fun right where I am to even think beyond 2016.

Q: Any plans for crossing the Pacific and having a seat on Capitol Hill?
A: I think every elected official wonders whether they could ever serve in Congress. Again, I'm going to give 110 percent wherever I am. We'll see where life leads. I have no burning desire to get back into elective office certainly not to move away from Hawaii. I am enjoying presiding over trials right now. Since your question does ask me to speculate, if I could have the dream job and I had to "cross the Pacific" it would be to go west not east, and to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of the Philippines. My Lola came to Hawaii in 1930 from Ilocos and never returned. My wife is from Manila and we go visit nearly every year. It would be quite a family honor to return to the Philippines representing the United State. But again, I'm just dreaming out loud. I'd also like to win the lottery, if you're wondering.

Q: What is your position on church and state?
A: Here in the United States we have a constitution. That constitution says congress shall pass no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. I support that middle road and the very wise policy of our founding document. Government is to neither promote or hinder religion. Our role toward religion is neutral as far as the government is concerned, and we are to allow churches, synagogues and any house of worship to fund themselves and to share their faith on their own time and dime.

Q: Feelings on the war?
A: War is never to be sought, and is always the last resort. But sometimes a country must use force to defend itself. I welcome the return of our troops as soon as it is prudent to withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan. Remember that we had troops in Germany and Japan for years after the second world war concluded. Our stabilizing presence there allowed for the reconstruction of democracy in both of those dictatorial societies. They now have robust democracies. We wish that for Iraq and Afghanistan.

Q: Any advice for President Bush?
A: No advice. My prayers are with him and his cabinet and our troops in harm's way. I serve at the state level and that's where my advice is appropriate.

Q: Taco Bell or McDonalds?
A: Neither. I'm eating more salads, more fresh fruit, more Filipino vegetables and fewer fried Filipino foods. My Lola taught me that health is our wealth. At forty my priority is to be in the best health possible. I've got four kids. I want to see them graduate from graduate school or medical school or law school and see them raise their own families.




No comments:

Post a Comment